We cannot ignore the culture of silence that surrounds sexual violence on college campuses. We need to work together to break the silence and engage the entire campus community in working together to eliminate sexual violence.
Please join us and take action today! Contact your United States Representative and both of your United States Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act (“Campus SaVE Act”). This bi-partisan legislation will update the federal Jeanne Clery Act to further:
- Safety by enhancing student & employee rights to assistance in reporting to law enforcement, having a safe environment, and to obtain a no contact order.
- Transparency by disclosing expanded sexual violence statistics including domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking in addition to sexual assaults.
- Accountability by providing for prompt and equitable investigations and resolutions for all complaints with key rights for both accused and accuser including having an advisor.
- Education by providing for initial and ongoing awareness programming for students & employees addressing primary prevention, consent, reporting, and bystander intervention.
- Collaboration between the U.S. Departments of Justice, Education, and Health & Human Services who will collect and disseminate best practices for preventing and responding to sexual violence on campus.
Break the silence and make the Campus SaVE Act (S. 834/H.R. 2016) a reality. The SOC website has the tools to equip you to take action immediately and have your voice heard. We have a Change.org petition, information about how to contact your legislators directly, and sample calls and letters. CLICK HEREnow to access these resources.
EVERY voice counts in this effort and we need your help today!
My sincere gratitude, in advance, for supporting our efforts and those of our partners to make our nation’s campus communities safer places.